Apprentice Gardener – Full Time
Covering our houses in Silver End, Hatfield Peverel, Thaxted and Southminster.
Zero Three Care provides residential care to young adults with learning disabilities throughout Essex, helping our service-users to access the community and all the experiences it has to offer. Our services are designed and run on the premise of creating environments in which we would be happy to place our own relatives. Our outside spaces are important for the well being of our Service users, and the maintenance team play a key role in ensuring that our gardens are safe as well as beautiful.
As an Apprentice Gardener, under the supervision of the Maintenance Manager, you will work in the general upkeep of the gardens and outdoor structures at our Residential Homes, including planting or installation, maintenance or removal of, grassed areas, flower beds, hedges, small trees, fences and paths, and outdoor leisure equipment.
You will be enrolled on the Horticulture and Landscape Operative Standard Level 2 Apprenticeship at Writtle College and will be expected to attend college one day a week during term time. As you will be working towards this qualification you will need to be prepared to play your part in gaining this award, this may include project work or reading in your own time. Having a driving licence is not an essential requirement for the role but it would be desirable.
To provide a comprehensive gardening service to Zero Three Care’s residential care homes as agreed with the Maintenance Manager.
To assist the maintenance department with other tasks where necessary.
SUMMARY OF MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
Maintenance Support for the Residential Homes within Zero Three Care
- To produce a high quality of work at all times and to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post as determined by the Job Description, Person Specification and the Maintenance Manager.
To undertake gardening duties for all homes, to include:
- Predominantly garden maintenance and grass cutting
- To ensure that gullies, drains, gutters etc. are kept free from debris
- To ensure that the grounds of the residential homes are kept litter free
- Ensure that standards of maintenance and Health and Safety are maintained at each site within Zero Three Care.
- Ensure that the security and general appearance of the buildings and surrounding areas are maintained to a high standard.
- On a daily basis to liaise with the Maintenance Manager regarding current maintenance requirements.
- To work proactively to regularly check all homes in order to try and report problems early and avoid emergency situations.
- To be aware of and comply with Health and Safety legislation within Residential Care and follow all company policies with regard to Health and Safety (full details of specific health and safety policies are contained in Zero Three Care’s Policies and Procedures Manual, which is available in the office of each residential home).
- To dispose of waste materials in a safe and hygienic manner, ensuring that all waste is available for collection as required.
- To ensure that receipts are provided for all merchandise bought and that these are logged and returned on a monthly basis to the accounts department.
- To maintain appropriate records, including maintenance book, mileage forms, receipts, logs etc.
- To be supportive of other team members and to endeavour to develop open, trusting and supportive relationships with others.
- To maintain satisfactory relationships with all parties involved in the day-to-day life of service users, including care support staff, relatives, Social Workers, external professionals and referrers. To display a professional approach to all visitors to the homes.
- To be sensitive to the needs of service users when conducting work within and around the home and to liaise closely with Maintenance Manager to arrange suitable times for maintenance work to be conducted (also ensuring that homes are telephoned before you arrive).
- The post-holder will be familiar with the Data Protection Act and will, at all times, bear in mind his/her responsibilities under the Act. Attention is specifically drawn to the need for confidentiality in handling personal data and the implications of unauthorised disclosure. Strict confidentiality must be observed in respect of any information regarding service users within the home.
- To ensure that you are conversant with all Zero Three Care’s policies and procedures and that you follow the practices outlined in these documents. Ensure that your operational and procedural practices are to the highest level of professionalism.
- To ensure that you are familiar with the content of the Staff Handbook and that you refer to the information provided therein to support you in your provision of care to each individual.
- To notify the Maintenance Manager immediately of any complaint, be it verbal or written and irrespective of source.
- To notify the Maintenance Manager immediately with regard to any serious accident or any contagious illnesses (actual or suspected) of service users or staff.
- To be aware of simple first aid and to be aware of when and how to access emergency services.
- To seek guidance and advice when required.
- To undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the post.
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time when it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot of themselves justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.
For more information, please contact Lili Rose on 01376 574150 or to apply online visit www.zerothreecarehomes.co.ukApply OnlineDownload Application Form
The minimal acceptable levels for safe and effective job performance:
- As this is an apprentice role no previous experience is necessary.
- Honest and reliable.
- Good written communication skills.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Genuine understanding and empathy with people.
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to work autonomously on own initiative.
- Positive and professional manner.
- Ability to comply with reasonable requests and policies and procedures.
- Ability to cope and act positively when faced with challenges.
- Interested in your work, motivated and committed to the task in hand.
- Organised and systematic.
- Committed to team work and ability to work as part of a team.
- Flexible in approach and in hours worked.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Demonstrate proactivity.
- Demonstrate a level of fitness that meets with the job description and specification.
- To accept and work within the company’s aims and objectives and promote it’s services.
- Available to travel to different sites around Essex.
The attributes of the ideal candidate:
- Previous experience in general garden maintenance.
- Previous work within the field of residential care.
- 5 GCSEs including Maths and English.
- Knowledge in specific gardening skills.
- Working knowledge of health and safety standards/legislation including COSHH and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of different gardening tools.
- Sade use and maintenance of tools and equipment.